AAP Connect is the members-only community and virtual place to access member resources and have discussions with other AAP members from all over the world. AAP Connect includes two member-driven discussion forums: PerioHub and Open Forum. PerioHub was established to allow periodontal professionals who are currently enrolled in or have completed a US- or Canadian-based periodontal residency program to interact and network with one another in an environment dedicated to the clinical and scientific specifics of the specialty. Open Forum is the universal AAP discussion community where all members are free to start conversations and post questions. Any documents you share will be automatically archived in the Open Forum or PerioHub libraries, making it easy to locate for later reference. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the contributor and do not necessarily represent those of the AAP.
The Academy cannot and does not assume responsibility for the accuracy, content, or ownership of material communicated through the community.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. The Academy reserves the right to remove any post that is brought to its attention that does not comply with these Terms. If you are in doubt about whether a proposed message complies with the rules, please contact the Academy at AAPConnect@perio.org before that message is posted.
Terms and Guidelines
- This community is intended for Academy members only. Posted messages, documents and files should not be shared with non-members.
- Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the contributor and do not necessarily represent those of the AAP. Postings made by Officers and Trustees of the Academy reflect the opinion of the individual and, unless otherwise indicated, do not necessarily reflect the opinion or position of the Academy. Officers and Trustees of the Academy must include a disclaimer in their personal posts.
- Friendly debate is welcome, however, personal attacks on, and abuse toward other users or any individual will not be tolerated. The key to maintaining AAP Connect as an engaging and inclusive space is to focus on intelligent discussion of relevant subjects.
- The AAP acknowledges that members may voice criticism of its products, services, policies, and performance. Any persistent misrepresentation of the AAP organization, its Board, or staff will be removed.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, harassing, offensive, or illegal language and materials are strictly prohibited. Keep communication professional and constructive. Avoid inflammatory language and insults. Also, be aware that you may be misunderstood, so try to be clear. Expect that people may understand your post differently than you intended. Tone of voice (sarcasm, humor, and so on) doesn’t always translate well online, so err on the side of caution.
- Do not post commercial messages on any discussion board, resource library entry, or other area where others might see it. AAP Connect is not an advertising space - don't use it to sell products or services. Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion boards and in the libraries is available to all members. Unduly disparaging comments about a product or an individual are subject to libel and slander laws.
- Do not post content related to price fixing, boycotting, or conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Any content that may put the Academy (or you) in legal jeopardy will be removed. Content should not be posted if it encourages or facilitates members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or implicitly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Content that encourages or facilitates an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
- To comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), do not submit any information or materials containing Protected Health Information (PHI). PHI is information or materials relating to an individual's medical condition or care and from which an individual can be identified.
- Only send a message to the entire community when it contains information from which everyone can benefit. Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire community. Do this by using "Reply to Sender." Do not send suggestions for the Academy using community discussion posts. Instead, email them directly to district trustees or Academy staff. Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the discussion board. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a discussion board.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the Legal Notice below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- The Academy reserves the right to remove any post that does not comply with these terms and to close any discussion thread that no longer comports with its original topic, has generated negative or offensive comments, or, where, in the sole discretion of the Academy, it is determined that the topic and comments no longer add to the body of knowledge.
- PerioHub is intended for the discussion of clinical and scientific work specifically related to the practice of Periodontology. This includes uploading cases and posting questions that would best resonate with periodontal specialists. The AAP reserves the right to remove posts that do not comply with the clinical and scientific requirements of the community.
This site is provided as a service for the members of the American Academy of Periodontology. The Academy is not responsible for the opinions and information of others. We disclaim any and all responsibility for the content or tone of any messages posted on this site. In no event shall the American Academy of Periodontology be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages, or any damages whatsoever, resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
By posting any material on this site, the posting party represents and warrants that the message complies with all of the rules set forth above and does not infringe the rights of any third party. In addition, the posting party grants the American Academy of Periodontology and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material for non-commercial purposes.
Further, by posting any material on this site, the posting party represents and warrants that he or she will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Academy and its affiliates and their respective officers, trustees, agents and employees from and against any claim, demand, or cause of action, including payments of reasonable attorneys' fees and costs arising out of or related to any violation of this Policy.
The American Academy of Periodontology reserves the right to terminate access to the site by any user who violates these rules, does not follow the required etiquette, or acts contrary to the Legal Notice – without opportunity for a hearing or any other process.
Terms and conditions are subject to change at any time.
--Updated February 2017