Important Information Regarding Travel to Canada

AAP-Canada-travel.pngAll U.S. citizens and international travelers must carry a valid passport and a valid visa (if necessary) when entering Canada. A passport is the only reliable and universally-accepted travel and identification document for the purpose of international travel. International transport companies, such as airlines, must make sure that travelers have proper, valid travel documents. If you do not have proper documents, you may be delaye or unable to board a plane.

For Canadian visa information, visit

Please note that entry into Canada can be restricted for a number of reasons including, among others, those related to criminal activity, security, and health. A DUI arrest or conviction inside or outside of Canada is often cited as a reason for denied entry. There are a number of ways to address these matters, some of which might take some time, and so be sure that you allow sufficient time to research and take any next steps with your own advisor.

The American Academy of Periodontology is not able to address individual situations. Additional information can be found at:

Traveling with Electronics
U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents may conduct searches to any devices that may contain information in an electronic or digital form, such as computers, tablets, disks, drives, tapes, mobile phones and other communication devices, cameras, music and media players while you are crossing an international border. Searches of electronic devices may include searches of information stored on the device(s) when it is presented for inspection or during its detention by Customs Border Patrol for an inbound or outbound border inspection. The AAP encourages all Annual Meeting attendees to limit the number of devices you will be traveling with and to remove any confidential information contained on the device(s) or consider obtaining or borrowing a new device clean of any confidential information to avoid any issues.

Questions? Contact the AAP at 312-787-5518 or For specific questions about entry into Canada, you can email CBSA (Canada Customs) at